We manage to get out of the driveway by about 4pm and were crossing the Border at about 11pm. The border was actually pretty decent. We did get searched, but the guy basically just wanted Dad to explain the Grease system. Also no one seemed to concerned about the goods I brought for the west Coast kiddies. I drove for a little while after we crossed but it wasn't long until I realized I had, at most, an hour of safe driving before the day was going to catch up with me. So we got a room at a Super 8 and enjoyed a bed, shower, breakfast, satellite TV, free Wireless internet and as much ice as we could smuggle. I remember watching an address by President Obama just before I went to sleep where he was doing a talk for the NAACP giving his perspective on the progress America has made regarding social equality and discrimination. Quite inspiring to hear such words in these changing times as we breeze across the American plains.
Dad seems to be holding out quite well. We are both very excited to be on the road with little to no setbacks to keep us from getting the mileage we lacked yesterday. We figure we can make it to Des Moines by 6pm, probably where we will refuel for the first time since we left.
Still haven't loaded photos but I will maybe check them out now while I have battery power.
One thing that has struck me about the American landscape is just how bleak and uninspiring it is. It seems as though every place that is of natural beauty and value needs to be hidden or blocked altogether because people might get into an accident watching the vistas instead of the roads. This is my hypothesis but I could be wrong, I just can't think of a reason other than safety to explain the total disregard for beauty with the American highway system. The roads themselves however are much better than Canada. Everything seems, smoother, better maintained with more rest stops and road kill per hundred km(60mi) and the speed limits are set in a realistic proportion to the surrounding landscape and being the biggest car-culture country in the world certainly knows how to make something as simple as getting across a few fields an epic road trip worthy of documentation.
Or at least an exercise in writing......
No comments:
Post a Comment